Athboy in 1839
Athboy is in the barony of Lune, 7 miles north-west of Trim, and 36 from Dublin.
It is an ancient borough: the municipality received a charter from Henry IV; and Elizabeth conferred on the place the elective franchise, which it lost at the Union.
The corporation then fell into disuse, and is now extinct. The town has a population of 1,959; the outparts of the parish (which is extensive) of 3,358: together, 5,317.
There are four fairs in the year. The town is the chief station of the constabulary force for the district: petty sessions are held weekly.
There are extensive flour-mills, but the town is poor, and does not seem to be improving.
The living is a vicarage attached to the union of Athboy; the parish is also the head of a Roman Catholic union.
There are a dispensary, almshouses for twelve poor widows, and several schools.