Stilton in 1838
Stilton is in Norman Cross hundred, on the high north road, 75 miles from Hickss Hall, London, through Huntingdon. The parish has an area of 1,620 acres, with a population, in 1831, of 793, above one-third agricultural. Stilton was once a market-town, but has dwindled into insignificance. The Stilton cheese takes its name from this village. The living is a rectory of the clear yearly value of £355, with a glebe-house. There were in 1833 seven day-schools, with 124 children, and one Sunday-school, with 100 children.