Rickmansworth in 1838
Rickmansworth, or Rickmersworth, is 18 miles from London, in Cashio hundred, in a low and flat situation near the confluence of the rivers Colne, the Chesham or Chess, and the Gade. The parish comprehends 9,740 acres, and had in 1831 a population of 4,574, more than one-third agricultural. The town is irregularly laid out. The church has been lately rebuilt : the former church was a large ancient building ; the tower, which is in the perpendicular style, is yet standing.
There are several paper and floor mills near the town, and some straw-platting and horse-hair weaving is carried on. The Grand Junction Canal passes through the town.
The living is a vicarage in the archdeaconry of St. Albans and diocese of London, of the yearly value of £510, with a glebe-house. There are two dissenting places of worship. There were in 1833 three infant or dame-schools with 20 children, an endowed national school with 86 children, a Lancasterian school with about 80 boys (since, we believe, discontinued), eighteen day or boarding and day-schools with 312 children, one day and Sunday Lancasterian school with 40 to 60 children, and two Sunday-schools with 81 children.
Near Rickmansworth is Moor Park, which was the residence of Cardinal Wolsey, of the unfortunate James, Duke of Monmouth, and of Lord Anson.