Havant in 1838
Havant is in the liberty of Havant (which comprehends only this parish), near the head of Langston harbour, 66 miles from London by Petersfield and Horndean. The parish comprehends 2,560 acres, and had in 1831 a population of 2,083, about one-fourth agricultural. The church is in the centre of the town, in the form of a cross, with a tower rising from the intersection : some parts of it are of Norman architecture. The living is a rectory, in the peculiar jurisdiction of the bishop of Winchester, who has the presentation : it is of the yearly value of £489, with a glebe-house. There is an Independent congregation. Havant has little trade : some parchment is made, and some of the inhabitants are engaged in fishing and fowling. The market is on Saturday, and there are two yearly fairs. There were in the parish in 1833 two national-schools with about 200 children, one boarding and day-school and four day-schools with 115 children, and one Sunday-school with 130 children.