Fareham in 1838
Fareham is in the hundred of Fareham, at the head of the north-west branch of Portsmouth harbour, 73 miles from London, at the intersection of the road from London to Gosport and that from Chichester to Southampton. The parish is extensive, containing 6,670 acres : it constitutes the whole of the hundred, and had in 1831 a population of 4,402. Fareham was in Lelands time a fishing village : it is now a tolerably thriving town, depending for its prosperity chiefly on its neighbourhood to Portsmouth. Several persons connected with the naval establishments at Portsmouth reside here. Some small vessels are built at Fareham ; and cordage, sacking, and coarse pottery are made. Vessels of 300 tons can get up to the port ; and considerable trade in corn and coal is carried on. The market is on Wednesday, and there is one yearly fair. Petty sessions are held here. The architecture of the church is of various dates and styles ; the chancel is early English. The living is a rectory in the peculiar jurisdiction of the bishop of Winchester, in whose gift it is ; the annual value is £671. There were in 1833 twenty-two day and four boarding schools, with nearly 700 children : of these schools, one with 27 boys was an endowed free-school, another with 130 children, a national school, and a third with 62 children, a subscription infant school. There were also three Sunday-schools, containing above 400 children. There are congregations of Independents and Methodists.