Alton in 1833
ALTON, a market town in Hampshire, on the road to Winchester, forty-seven miles south-west of London, near the source of the river Wey. It is a well-built place, with three principal streets, partially paved by subscription and lighted. Some bombazeens and serges were made, but this manufacture seems to have decayed, nor is the town at present noted for any particular branch of industry. There are hop plantations in this neighbourhood ; and two breweries in the town. The living is a vicarage in the gift of the Bishop of Winchester. The church is neat, and there are two or three meeting-houses for the Dissenters. Alton has a national school.
The market is on Saturday; and there are two fairs in the year. The population in 1831, was 2,742.
During the civil wars, the royalist troops, under Lord Hopton, were surprised at Alton by the Parliamentarians under Sir William Waller.