Wotton-under-Edge in 1838
Wotton-under-Edge, 18 miles south by west of Gloucester, is a respectable old town, situated near the base of a ridge of wooded hills, whence it derives its name. The old town was burnt down in the reign of king John ; a place called the Brands is supposed to mark its original site. The present town is well built, and contains a handsome old church, in which there are many curious monuments.
There is a well-endowed free-school, and three hospitals, with other charities. Wotton also is one of the clothing towns, and has many clothing-mills. Its trade is at present in a flourishing state. Its population in 1831 was 5,482, and the parish then contained 1,166 houses. The Berkeley Avon, a small river which falls into the Severn, near Berkeley, runs by this town. Wotton and Dursley are polling-places for the county.
At Kingswood, one mile south of Wotton, there are seven clothing-mills, one of which is among the largest in the county. This place is situated in the small detached piece of Wiltshire which is in Gloucestershire. Here are the remains of an abbey of Cistercian monks, founded in 1139 by William de Berkeley.