Newent in 1838
Newent, eight miles north-west of Gloucester, is a small irregularly-built market-town, situated in the Forest of Dean. It was formerly of more consequence than at present. The court-house was built on the site of an alien priory, supposed to have been founded soon after the Norman invasion ; an ancient gateway and some smaller fragments of monastic buildings yet remain. The church is an ancient building of various architecture, apparently having been three times partially rebuilt. Coal abounds in the vicinity, and several pits have been sunk here. The Hereford canal passes by this town. In 1831 the population was 2,859, and the number of houses 518.
Newent is a polling-place for the western division of the county.