Marshfield in 1838
Marshfield, a small market-town 28 miles south of Gloucester, is situated on the borders of the county, just at its junction with Wiltshire and Somersetshire. Near the town, at a place called the Rocks, are three shire stones to mark the limits of the three counties where they meet in a point. Marshfield is composed chiefly of one street of old buildings, nearly a mile long ; it is a clothing town ; a considerable quantity of malt is likewise made here for the supply of the Bath and Bristol brewers. There is a good charity school and a well-endowed almshouse for eight poor people. The population in 1831 was 1,651, and the number of houses 311.