Coleford in 1838
Coleford, 14½ miles west-by-south of Gloucester, and in the parish of Newland, is a small market-town, consisting principally of one street : the houses are in general well built. This town suffered much in the civil wars. The chapel, which was then destroyed, was rebuilt in the reign of Queen Anne. The number of inhabitants in 1831 was 2,193 ; the number of houses 422.