Woodford in 1837
Woodford is in Becontree hundred, 8 miles from London on the Newmarket road. It is a long straggling place with a number of good houses, inhabited by merchants and tradesmen from London. The population in 1831 was 2,548, of which about one-fourth was agricultural ; the number of inhabitants had materially diminished since the previous census. The church is a modern erection, but in the ancient English style. A group of houses about a mile north from the main part of the village takes the name of Woodford Wells, from a mineral spring, now in little repute.