Wivenhoe in 1837
Wivenhoe is in Lexden hundred, 4 miles from Colchester and 55 from London. It is on the north-east bank of the river Colne, just at the junction of the Roman. The village is on the slope of a hill, and commands a pleasant prospect down the river. Wivenhoe has a commodious quay and a custom-house; it may be considered as the port of Colchester. The population of the parish in 1831 was 1,714, of which about one-fourth was agricultural. The living is a rectory, of the yearly value of £371, with a glebe-house.