Stansted Montfichet in 1837
Stansted Montfichet is 32 miles from London, on the Newmarket road, partly in Clavering half hundred, and partly in Uttlesford hundred. It consists mainly of a long straggling street. The name, Stansted, is supposed to be corrupted from Stone Street, the name of a Roman way, on or near which it stood ; the epithet Montfichet, was the surname of William Gernon, to whose father the lordship had been given by the Conqueror, and who built a castle here ; the artificial mound on which the keep was built yet remains. It maybe doubted whether the place took its name from the builder of the castle, or vice versa: population in 1831, 1,560.