Leigh in 1837
Leigh is in the hundred of Rochford, about 36 miles from London. The houses are principally arranged in one street running along the foot of an eminence and on the bank of the Thames. The summit of the eminence commands a fine prospect, and is crowned by the church with its ivy-mantled tower, and the manor-house. The population (1,254 in 1831) consists chiefly of fishermen. The place has some trade, and there is a small custom-house here. The Wesleyan Methodists have a meeting-house. Some Roman coins have been discovered at Leigh.