Ingatestone in 1837
Ingatestone is in the hundred of Chelmsford, and on the road from London to Chelmsford, 23 miles from London. It is supposed to have derived its name from a Roman milliary stone, and from the Saxon word Ing, a meadow ; thus, Ing-atte-stone. The village, which extends into the adjoining parish of Fryerning, consists of a long street along the high road, and a smaller street running out of this to the south-east. From its situation on so great a thoroughfare it abounds with inns. It had formerly a large cattle market, but this is now discontinued : there is a large cattle fair. The church is in the middle of the town, and contains several monuments of the Petre family.
There is an almshouse and an Independent meeting-house. Ingatestone Hall, a little way south of the town, was once the seat of the Petre family : it is a very ancient and irregular pile. The grounds are well stored with fish-ponds, and the whole was formerly surrounded by a park. The population of the parish, which is small, was in 1831, 789, chiefly agricultural ; to these we may add perhaps 300 for that part of the village which is in Fryerning parish. It may be observed that the syllable Ing (or Ging, which appears to be a variety of it), which enters into the name Ingatestone, is found in the names of several other parishes or manors in this neighbourhood, as Fryern-ing, Margarett-ing, Mountneys-ing, Ginges-joiberd (commonly called Buttsbury), Ingrave or Ging-ralph, and Trestl-ing or Thrustl-ing ; to which we may add Bark-ing.