Horndon in 1837
Horndon, distinguished from two other parishes of the same name by the epithet on the hill, is in Barstable hundred, and is situated, as its name imports, on an eminence, from whence there is a fine view. The church is in the middle of the town ; it has a stone tower, embattled. The parish had in 1831 a population of 511, chiefly agricultural. The market, when Morant published his history of Essex (1768), was very small ; it has been since given up. There is one fair in the year, chiefly for wool. It is 27 miles from London through Brentwood.