Burnham in 1837
Burnham is in Dengie hundred, on the north bank of the estuary of the Crouch, which has here a depth of water sufficient for a ninety-gun ship. It had a good street towards the river and a commodious quay. The church is nearly a mile from the village. The population, in 1831, was 1,393: the inhabitants are engaged in the oyster fishery.