Brightlingsea in 1837
Brightlingsey (population in 1831 1,784) is on the estuary of the Colne, in Tendring hundred. The inhabitants are engaged in the oyster fishery. The parish forms a peninsula, surrounded by the marshes of the Colne and its inlets, except on the north-east side, where is the only entrance to the parish, except by a ford. The church is near this entrance, the village is a mile distant nearer the sea. Morant speaks of an establishment for preparing copperas here, and the copperas house is marked in the Ordnance Survey. Brightlingsey is a member of Sandwich in Kent, one of the Cinque Ports. The population has nearly doubled within the present century.