Hetton-le-Hole in 1837
Hetton-le-Hole is a mile or two south of Houghton-le-Spring. The increase of the population between 1821 and 1831, when it rose from under 1,000 to nearly 6,000, was owing to the extension of the collieries, which in 1831 gave employment to nearly 1,800 men and boys, of whom above 1,000 were upwards of twenty years old. In the returns of 1831 for Hetton-le-Hole there were 1,590 acres and 5,887 inhabitants. There were at Hetton, in 1833, one day and Sunday-school with 68 day scholars and nearly 330 Sunday scholars ; fourteen other day-schools with nearly 700 children, and two Sunday. schools with above 300 children.