Notable Villages of Devon in 1836
Thorncombe, in a detached part of the county, included between Dorsetshire and Somersetshire, had formerly a market, which was discontinued about the year 1770. The population of the parish, which is large and includes several villages, was, in 1831, 1,368. In this parish stood Ford Abbey, to which an abbot and twelve Cistertian monks were removed A.D. 1141. This abbey at the dissolution was valued at £381, 10 shillings and 6 pence gross yearly income, or £374, 10 shillings and 6 pence clear. There are some remains of the monastic buildings : the chapel has a groined roof (early English) and some late Norman arches ; the hall and cloisters are of rich late perpendicular architecture.
Silverton is between the Ex and the Culm, seven miles north of Exeter, in Hayridge hundred. There has been no market since 1785. The church, which lies a little back from the principal street, is a handsome edifice in the perpendicular style. The population of the parish in 1831 was 1,389
Sheepwash or Shipwash is in Shebbear hundred on the north bank of the Torridge, a short distance west by north of Hatherleigh. The market was considerable in the middle of the last century, but since the latter end of that century it has been discontinued. The parish is not large, and had in 1831 only 446 inhabitants.
Exmouth, the situation of which is indicated by its name, is a place much resorted to as a bathing-place. It is in East Budleigh hundred, and about eight miles south of Exeter. The population of the joint parishes of Littleham and Exmouth in 1831 was 3,189. Exmouth was in the reign of King John one of the principal ports of the county, and in 1347 it furnished 10 ships and 193 mariners for the expedition against Calais. In the civil war of Charles I Exmouth fort was garrisoned for the King, but taken by the Parliamentarians. There is a national school, for which Lord Rolle built a school-room, and to which Lady Rolle bequeathed an endowment.
Dawlish, between the mouths of the Ex and the Teign, is also frequented as a bathing-place. It is in Exminster hundred and had in 1831 a population of 3,151.
Torquay, also a fashionable watering-place, is on the north side of Torbay, in the parish of Tor Mohun, or Moham in Haytor hundred. Tor Mohun parish had in 1831 a population of 3,582. A market-house has been built, and there are hotels and bath rooms, terraces, and detached cottages. The inhabitants are engaged in the Newfoundland and home fisheries, and carry on some coasting trade.
Paignton, population. in 1831, 1,960, formerly a market-town, is on the west side of Torbay.
Clovelly, on the north coast, is a village remarkable for its picturesque situation and appearance. The houses are built on the face of a steep rock. There is a pier at Clovelly. The inhabitants are engaged in fishing. Population in 1831, 907.
Though none of the above places (except perhaps Torquay) has a market now, several of them are put down in the maps as market towns.