Combe Marten in 1836
Combe Marten is in Braunton hundred, on the north coast, about five miles east of Ilfracombe. It had in 1831 a population of 1,031 inhabitants. It was formerly known for the growth of excellent hemp and the manufacture of shoe-makers thread, but these branches of industry have been given up. The trade of the place is inconsiderable. Welsh coal is imported, and corn and bark are exported : lime is burnt in considerable quantity. The market has been long discontinued : the living is a rectory, of the yearly value of £387, with a glebe house. The Wesleyans have a place of worship here.