Crich in 1837
Crich is a market-town and parish, chiefly in the hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, but extending into the hundred of Scarsdale and the wapentake of Wirksworth. It is between the rivers Amber and Derwent, on the road from Alfreton to Wirksworth, five miles west of Alfreton and five east of Wirksworth, and about twelve miles north from Derby.
The town is built on a considerable limestone hill that overlooks all the eminences round it. The church forms a very conspicuous object : it has a very tall spire. On a cliff near the village is a circular tower of modern erection, from which an extensive and beautiful prospect is obtained.
The parish of Crich is divided into three parts : Crich township, 3,770 acres, 2,115 inhabitants, Litchurch and Morleston hundred ; Wessington township 1,260 acres, 465 inhabitants, Scarsdale hundred ; Tansley hamlet, 1,150 acres, 507 inhabitants, Wirksworth wapentake. Total, 6,180 acres, 3,087 inhabitants.
The inhabitants of the township of Crich, which includes several villages round the town, are chiefly engaged in working the lead-mines round, in getting limestone, which excellent both for agriculture and building, and burning it to lime, in the manufacture of stockings, and in agriculture.
There was anciently a market at Crich ; but it had been discontinued. In the middle of the last century an attempt was made to revive it, but the attempt failed ; in 1810 it was re-opened, and is still held. It is on Thursday, but is not much resorted to. There are two fairs in the year for cattle, pedlars wares, &c.
The living of Crich is a vicarage, of the annual value of £98, with a glebe-house, in the gift of Sir Willoughby Dixie. There are places of worship in the parish for Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists and General Baptists.
Crich township contained in 1833 10 day-schools, in which were 115 boys and 112 girls ; and 3 Sunday-schools, with 157 boys and 140 girls. In the other divisions of the parish were 1 day-school, with 36 boys in it, and 2 Sunday-schools, containing 137 boys and 92 girls.