Ireby in 1837
Ireby is a very old town, having had a market granted to it 600 years ago, but so little benefit has it derived from the grant, that in 1831 the entire parish contained only 449 inhabitants. The church is small. The salary of the present clergyman, who has filled the office above half a century, was only £25 a year until recently augmented by Queen Annes Bounty. The school has a small endowment. Clea-hall, Whitefield-house, and Snittlegarth, are in this neighbourhood.