Harrington in 1837
Harrington is a small flourishing seaport between Whitehaven and Workington. The harbour is well constructed, and the trade gradually increasing. Coal is exported from this place to Ireland, and lime to Scotland. In the former trade upwards of 40 vessels are employed, and in the latter are several hundred sloops. Here are two yards for ship-building, a ropery, and a vitriol and copperas manufactory. The parish church is a plain structure, without a tower. There are two Methodist chapels, a Lancasterian school, and a clothing society. Parish population in 1831, 1,758. This place and the manor gave name to the ancient and baronial family of Harrington, and was possessed by Lady Jane Grey. Iron-stone and fire-clay are found in the vicinity : about 2,000 tons of the former are annually exported.