Brampton in 1837
Brampton is a very ancient town, and has a weekly market on Wednesday. The new chapel was consecrated in 1789, and greatly enlarged and improved in 1827. A new town-hall, of an octagonal form, and a national school, were erected by the earl of Carlisle in 1817. Gas-works are now being established. Here are four dissenting chapels, three Sunday schools, a grammar-school, and an infant school. The old church, a part only of which is remaining, is situated a mile and a half from the town, on an eminence near the village of Irthington. The principal manufactures are the weaving of checks and ginghams for the Carlisle manufacturers, some of whom have large establishments at Warwick-bridge, Carlisle, and Dalston. Township population in 1831 was 2,842. The Mote is a natural mount at the east end of the town, probably an ancient fort. It rises 360 feet above the level of the streets, and commands an extensive prospect. Upon a rock on the banks of the Gelt one mile and a half to the south, a Roman inscription is still legible. About two miles to the east are Lanercost-abbey and Naworth-castle. The former was founded in 1116, and exhibits some beautiful ruins : the latter was a strong fortress, and the baronial mansion of the lords of Gilsland ; it is now the property and occasional residence of the earl of Carlisle. The seats in the neighbourhood are Waltonhouse, Edmond-castle, and Stone-house. Gilsland Spa is a much frequented watering-place on the banks of the Irthing, ,about nine miles distant.
The parish of Brampton gave birth to Dr. Guy Carlton. bishop of Bristol and afterwards of Chichester, and to James Wallace, Esq., attorney-general, father of the present Lord Wallace.