MARKET TOWNS OF CORNWALL (from SDUK Penny Cyclopedia)
St. Daye in 1837
St. Daye is in the parish of Gwennap, in the hundred of Kerrier : it is between Truro and Redruth ; 261 or 262 miles from London, and about 2 miles from Redruth. It appears to have been of more consequence in former times, but had fallen much into decay : of late years it has greatly recovered, owing to the increase of the mining population in the neighbourhood. There was formerly a chapel, of which there are now no traces : this chapel is said to have been much resorted to by pilgrims in former days, and from the resort of these pilgrims arose a market, which continued to be held without any charter : this market was however given up. The present market, which is held on Saturdays for butchers meat and other provisions, was established some years since for the benefit of the miners. The parish of Gwennap, which is rather large, contained in 1831 a population of 8,539, principally consisting of miners.
The living of Gwennap is a vicarage (net annual value £482, with a glebe-house) in the diocese of Exeter and archdeaconry of Cornwall, and in the gift of the dean and chapter of Exeter. There is near St. Daye a curious amphitheatre of rude construction, supposed to have been of British origin ; it was selected by Wesley as a place for public preaching, and is still used by his followers at some of their anniversaries.