MARKET TOWNS OF CORNWALL (from SDUK Penny Cyclopedia)
Callington in 1837
Callington is in the hundred of East, and from the road from London by Tavistock to Liskeard, Lostwithiel, St. Austell, and Truro ; 216 miles from London, and above 40 from Truro. The situation of the town is low and unpleasant, at the foot of Hingston Down, and not far from the river Lynher, a feeder of the river Tamer ; and the buildings, with the exception of the church, are mean and unimportant ; the houses are chiefly arranged in one broad street. The church, or rather chapel, was almost wholly rebuilt about the middle of the fourteenth century, by Nicholas de Asheton or Assheton, serjeant-at-law. Some cloth is manufactured here. There is a market on Wednesdays for corn and provisions. Some mines are worked in the neighbourhood. There are two dissenting places of worship. The population in 1831 was 1,388.
Callington is a perpetual curacy, held with rectory of Southhill ; their joint net annual value is £748 with a glebe-house ; they are in the diocese of Exeter and archdeaconry of Cornwall, and in the gift of Lord Ashburton.
This was one of the boroughs disfranchised by the Reform Act. It was the last town in Cornwall admitted to the right of sending members, not having acquired that privilege till 1585.