MARKET TOWNS OF CORNWALL (from SDUK Penny Cyclopedia)
Boscastle in 1837
Boscastle, (which name is a corruption of Bottreux castle) is in the hundred of Lesnewth, and on the north-west coast, not far to the north-east of Tintagell Head. It is a poor little place, but in a very romantic situation. The castle from which it takes its name, is no longer standing. It has a weekly market.
This little town is partly in the parish of Forrabury, a rectory (net annual value £70 with a glebe-house), and partly in that of Minster, a rectory (net annual value £224), both in the diocese of Exeter and archdeaconry of Cornwall, and in the gift of T.J. Phillips, Esq. The joint population of the two parishes does not exceed 855. There is a pier at Boscastle, to which vessels come with coals. Near the market-place are the remains of an ancient church or chapel, dedicated to St. James, also some remains near the church of Minster, (which is remote from the town) of a former cell of Black or Benedictine monks dependent upon an abbey at Angers in France.