Whittlesey in 1836
Whittlesey, in Witchford hundred, is 34 miles from Cambridge. It consists of two parishes (Whittlesey St. Mary and Whittlesey St. Andrew), and has two churches, but the respective bounds of the parishes are not known, and there is only, one parochial register. The livings are in distinct patronage, and for some time were commonly held by the same person ; at present there is a vicar to each. St. Andrew's church is the largest; St. Mary's church has a very fine tower and spire.
The market has been discontinued about 50 years. The population, in 1831, was 6,019, chiefly agricultural. There is an annual fair.
There are two endowed charity-schools at Whittlesey and some almshouses, the latter supported by the parish. At Eldernall in the parish is a ruined chapel. Whittlesey Mere is a large piece of water in Huntingdonshire, S.W. of the village. It yields abundance of fish. The livings of St. Mary and St. Andrew are vicarages in the diocese of Ely, exempt from visitation, and in the gift respectively the earl of Waldegrave and of the crown. (See Clerical Guide, London, 1836.) The value of St. Mary is £222, and that of St. Andrew £62 per annum.