Linton in 1836
Linton, in Chilford hundred, 11 miles from Cambridge. is a small town pleasantly situated. The houses are principally low and covered with thatch ; a few are of brick. There is a small market-house of mean appearance, and a spacious church. There were formerly two religious houses in this parish ; one an alien priory. subordinate to the abbey of St. Jacutus de Insula, in Bretagne : the other (at Barham) a priory of Crossed or Crouched friars, a cell to Welnetham, in Suffolk, which was itself subordinate to the house of this order in London. The former was suppressed in the time of Henry VI , and its possessions given to. the master and fellows of Pembroke Hall, Cambridge There are some remains of the conventual buildings at. Barham incorporated into Barham hall, a country seat for the master of Pembroke Hall for the time being.
Linton has a weekly market, at which there is a good trade in corn ; and two annual fairs, one a great sheep fair. Population, in 1831, 1,678 ; about one-third of the adult males are engaged in agriculture. The living is vicarage, in the diocese and archdeaconry of Ely, in the gift of the bishop of Ely ; annual value, £204.