Wendover in 1836
Wendover, in the hundred. of Aylesbury, a parliamentary borough, disfranchised by the Reform Bill, is 35 or 36 miles from London, on the road to Aylesbury. It has a small weekly market, and two fairs, May 13 and October 2. The living is a vicarage, in the gift of the crown.
The population, in 1831, was 2,008 for the whole parish, which is large, viz. 5,250 acres. Lace-making and straw-platting furnish the chief occupation of the inhabitants. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a little out of the town. There are in the town the remains of a chapel dedicated to St. John, long disused. There are two Dissenting meeting-houses, an endowed school, and a national school.
The celebrated John Hampden represented Wendover in five parliaments.