The following articles were all written in 1835, population figures relate to 1831 census
Balking, a hamlet of Uffington, three or four miles south-east of Faringdon; population, 185.
Basilden, on the Thames, about midway between Reading and Wallingford ; population, 780.
Catmere, about four miles west of East Ilsey ; population 88.
Cookham, on the Thames, a little to the north of Maidenhead, part of which is in the parish ; has still two fairs ; population 3,337.
East Hendred, about four miles east of Wantage. This place was formerly one of the seats of the cloth manufacture. The stewardship of one of the manors in this parish is a nominal office in the gift of the Chancellor of the Exchequer, and is one of the places given for the purpose of vacating a seat in the House of Commons. There is at East Hendred an ancient chapel, supposed to have been erected by the monks of Sheen, to whom the manor just referred to be longed ; this chapel now forms two tenements ; population, 865.
Hinton, about six miles north-east of Faringdon, a little to the north of the road from that town to Abingdon ; it is near the Thames; population, 348.
Kentbury, or Kintbury, anciently Cheneteberie and Kennetbury, about three miles south-east of Hungerford, on the banks of the Kennet ; it gives name to the hundred of Kentbury-Eagle ; population, 1,781.
Shrivenham, five miles south-west of Faringdon, gives name to the hundred ; population, 2,113.
Speen, about one mile north-west of Newbury. Speenhamland, a tithing of this parish, forms a sort of suburb of Newbury. It was a Roman station, Spinae, and one of the principal scenes of action in the second battle of Newbury, fought in October, 1644, between the troops of Charles I and those of the parliament ; population, 3,044.
Stanford-in-the-Vale, in the Vale of White Horse, about midway between Wantage and Faringdon, has a handsome Gothic church ; population, 1,016.
Thatcham, on the road from London to Bath, three miles east of Newbury. Its market was first held on Sunday, but changed by Henry III to Thursday. There is a well-endowed free-school here. The parish, which is the largest in the county except Lambourn, contains 12,960 acres ; population, 3,912.
Wargrave, a little to the right of the road from Maiden head to Reading, about midway between them. There is an endowment for educating poor children. Wargrave gives name to a hundred ; population, 1,423.
West Woodhay, on the borders of Hampshire, about seven miles south-west of Newbury, and about six south-east of Hungerford ; population, 127.
Yattendon, about eight miles north-east of Newbury ; population, 241.