Lambourn in 1835
Lambourn, or Chipping Lambourn, is situated upon little river of that name, which falls into the Kennet at Newbury. Lambourn is near the edge of the downs mentioned in the account of East Ilsley, eleven miles from that town, and sixty-five from London. In the market place is a tall plain pillar, with an ornamented capital, on an ascent of steps. The church is a handsome Gothic structure in the form of a cross, having two chantry chapels on the south side : and near the churchyard is an hospital for ten poor men, founded by some of the family of Isbury or Estbury. The living is a vicarage in the gift of the dean and chapter of St. Paul's, London, of the average net income of £104. The market is of very ancient date, but has much declined of late years : it is held on Fridays. There are three fairs. The parish is very extensive, containing nearly 15,000 acres : it is divided into one township (that of Chipping Lambourn) and three tithings. The population of the township of Chipping Lambourn in 1831 was 1,166 : that of the whole parish 2,386. At Upper Lambourn, an adjacent hamlet, was formerly a free chapel, now destroyed.