Toddington in 1835
Toddington is between Dunstable and Ampthill, about 5 miles from Dunstable, and 38 or 39 from London, nearly 7 miles from Ampthill, and nearly 15 from Bedford. The market, which a century and a half ago was one of the most considerable in the county, has been discontinued, and the market-house pulled down : it has five fairs. The Gothic church contains some ancient monuments in its north and south transepts : but these transepts, as well as the monuments in them, are in a very dilapidated state. A curious frieze of grotesque animals runs under the eaves of the church roof. There was an hospital at Toddington, founded, in the time of Henry VI, in honour of John the Baptist, by John Broughton. It was for a warden, being chaplain, and three poor men. There is a Wesleyan meeting-house at Toddington.