Luton in 1839
LUTON, is a parish in the hundred of Flitt and county of Bedford, comprising the township of Luton and the hamlets of East and West Hyde, Leegrave, and Stopsley. The town, which is situated on the right bank of the river Lea, 18 miles south by east from Bedford, and 29 north-west by north from London, is, we believe, neither paved nor lighted, but the inhabitants are well supplied with water from the river. The making of straw-plat and malting constitute the chief manufactures of the place. The living is a vicarage in the patronage of the Marquis of Bute, and valued at £830 per annum. Besides almshouses and a few other benevolent institutions, there is a national-school which is usually attended by a considerable number of children. The population of the entire parish in 1831 was 5,693, that of the township alone being 3,961.